Warm Roast Vegetable & Roquette Salad
Friday, 7th October 2011
- 1 kilogram butternut pumpkin
- 3 medium pontiac potatoes
- 2 parsnips
- 2 medium zucchini
- 6 baby yellow squash
- 2 red capsicum
- 1 onion
- 6 French shallots
- 8 clove garlic
- 6 sprigs rosemary
- 300 grams rocket leaves arugula
- 150 grams marinated Persian fetta cheese or any nice soft marinated fetta
- extra virgin olive oil
- aged balsamic vinegar
- sea salt flakes
- freshly cracked black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees (390 fahrenheit)
- Cut the pumpkin in half and remove the seeds and soft flesh (skin can be either left on or off of the pumpkin)
- Cut the pumpkin, parsnip, potato and onion into 2 cm (1 inch) cubes.
- Peel the garlic cloves and leave whole.
- Peel the shallots and cut in half top to bottom.
- Cut the zucchini, squash, capsicum (no seeds) into a similar size as the pumpkin etc.
- Strip the sprigs of rosemary and finely chop the leaves.
- Cover the base of a large baking tray or two smaller trays with olive oil and place in oven for 3-5 minutes, (for that home baked country taste you can use dripping or shortening).
- Add the pumpkin, potatoes, parsnip, onion, eschalots, garlic and rosemary to the oil, gently toss with a steel spatula and return to the oven for approx 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, add the remaining vegetables, season with salt and pepper and toss once again to ensure all the items are coated in oil and return to the oven for a further 20 minutes.
- Remove the tray from the oven and allow to sit for a few minutes.
- Toss most of the warm vegetables with the rocket lettuce, some seasoning, a little of the oil from the pan and a touch of balsamic vinegar (not too much vinegar though as it will kill that freshly roasted flavour).
- Divide salad evenly among 4 plates and top with the remaining roast vegetables and some crumbled fetta cheese.
- Sit your guests down and eat ASAP as this is a dish best served fresh. The left over vegetables are great in a cold salad or pasta or pureed in a soup.